There’s not too long to wait until the first Airbus A330-900neo planes will join the ITA Airways fleet in the coming month of June 2023. However until that moment the most modern long range plane in the Italian flag carrier’s fleet will be the Airbus A350-900. This is by far, currently, the most comfortable aircraft to fly on when travelling on ITA, as the alternative are the quite dated A330-200s. Let’s find out where the Italian carrier flies its A350s right now.
The Differences Between the ITA A330-200 and A350-900
There is a substantial difference in travelling aboard the ITA A330-200 or the A350-900. The experience and quality of the trip can vary drastically depending on which flight you end up flying on. The airline’s A330s are getting old, with an average age of almost 13 years. The oldest of the A330s (EI-DIP) is over 23 years old and the interiors of these jets reflect that age. On the other hand the A350-900s have an average age of just about 3 years. The oldest ITA Airways A350-900 is just about 4 and a half years old.
From a passenger’s stand point the most notable differences are the interiors and the in flight entertainment system. The seats in all classes are an older outdated version when compared to what you see on other European carriers. This is particularly evident in Business class. The A350s offers a much vaster selection of movies and shows as it is fitted with the new ITA in flight entertainment system.
Last but not least is the the aircraft itself. The A350 thanks to its composite material fuselage can be pressurised to a lower cabin altitude. This translates to the air in the plane being easier to breathe and reduced jet lag symptoms.
Clearly if you could choose you should always opt to fly on the A350.
How Many A350s does ITA Airways Have?
As of May 2023, the Italian flag carrier has 6 Airbus A350-900. The registration numbers of these aircraft are:
All the ITA Airways A350-900s share the same cabin configuration in a 2 class layout, featuring:
- 33 Business Class flat bed seats
- 301 Economy Class seats
Where Does ITA Airways Fly Its Airbus A350-900s?
At the moment 6 destinations have regular ITA Airbus A350-900 flights. All of these A350 services originate in the airline’s hub of Rome Fiumicino (FCO). There are no A350 ITA Airways flights from Milan Malpensa (MXP).
- AZ792 – Da Rome Fiumicino (FCO) to Tokyo Haneda (HND) – Flight only operated with the A350 by ITA.
- AZ680 – Da Rome Fiumicino (FCO) to Buenos Aires (EZE) – Flight only operated with the A350 by ITA.
- AZ620 – Da Rome Fiumicino (FCO) to Los Angeles (LAX) – Flight only operated with the A350 by ITA.
- AZ674 – Da Rome Fiumicino (FCO) to Sao Paolo (GRU) – Flight served by both of ITA’s A350 and A330-200.
- AZ630 – Da Rome Fiumicino (FCO) to Miami (MIA) – Flight served by both of ITA’s A350 and A330-200.
- AZ608 – Da Rome Fiumicino (FCO) to New York (JFK) – Flight served by both of ITA’s A350 and A330-200.
Summing it up, you should be almost certain to be on an ITA Airways A350-900 flying in and out of Tokyo Haneda (HND), Buenos Aires (EZE) and Los Angeles (LAX). It’s more of a gamble when flying out of Sao Paolo (GRU), Miami (MIA) and New York (JFK).