Emirates is one of the leading forces in modern aviation. A global airline powered by a global work force. I can certify that myself having worked for the airline 3 years. It is an energetic work environment that will satisfy even the most enthusiastic travellers. Joining the airline though means going through an intense recruitment phase. Only the best performers will be selected to move to Dubai and complete the Cabin Crew training. Despite having hired over 8,000 new cabin crew in 2023, Emirates is not stopping in 2024 and is looking hire more new recruits.
In this post:
- Why Are Emirates Hiring Such Large Numbers of Cabin Crew?
- How Many Cabin Crew Currently Work For EK?
- What is The Minimum Joining Criteria?
- Where is Emirates Hiring Cabin Crew?
Why Are Emirates Hiring Such Large Numbers of Cabin Crew?
As mentioned already, Emirates has hired over 8,000 new cabin crew recruits in 2023. That is a massive number for just one year. It becomes mind blowing when you also consider that the airline is planning to recruit further 5,000 flight attendants in 2024. But why is Emirates hiring so many cabin crew in such a short time span?
There are at least 3 answers to this question, or at least that I can find:
- Emirates let go of a lot of personnel, mainly cabin crew, during the pandemic. The airline needed to lighten its payroll and let go of crew with warnings on their records.
- The Dubai based airline will be receiving a massive number of planes in coming years and will need to staff accordingly. Therefore it only makes sense to move in advance to have the right staffing levels when the planes arrive. The latest aircraft order expansions arriving as recently as in November 2023 at the Dubai Air Show.
- With the world returning to normality, that includes the aviation industry, I’m sure the leaving rate of crew has risen back to normal levels. You must know that the average stay of a cabin crew in Dubai isn’t all that long. Many, at least during my employment, would leave before the 5 year mark with a surprising number of crew staying for 1 contract only (3 years). Therefore the airline will also need to find a larger number of new recruits to replace those leaving.
How Many Cabin Crew Currently Work For EK?
With recent aggressive recruitment campaigns, flight attendant staffing levels have returned to where they were when I was in Dubai.
Currently Emirates employs 21,500 cabin crew. That number is inevitably destined to grow as the airline is working on those 5,000 additional hirings.
What is The Minimum Joining Criteria?
Getting hired is not easy but with the right approach and a few useful tips, you can read here, absolutely possibile. There is however some minimum requirements that need to be met in order to be even taken into consideration as a possibile candidate. To be an Emirates cabin crew candidate you must:
- Fluent in written and spoken English (additional languages are an advantage)
- A natural team player with a personality that shines
- At least 160cm tall and able to reach 212cm high
- Able to meet the UAE’s employment visa requirements
- Have at least 1 year of hospitality or customer service experience
- A minimum of high school (Grade 12) education
- No visible tattoos while in Emirates cabin crew uniform
The having at least 1 year of hospitality or customer service requirement is something added in recent years. When I went through the recruiting process you were allowed to join with no prior working experience.
Where is Emirates Hiring Cabin Crew?
Emirates will be hiring new flight attendants from virtually anywhere in the world. There will be open days in more than 460 cities, so chances are there will be one not too far from you too.